Wednesday, September 26, 2007

...And Back Again; plus, a Side Trip to the End of the Universe

Early morning view of the Grand Canyon South Rim from below. .. ..

A nine hour hike back to the top of the trail: Months of inactivity and 20 extra pounds of paunch make for a long trudge.

Nearing the top, I began to encounter day hikers strolling down from above.

Here is one of my fellow hikers this fine sunshining day.

Once on top (and after a lengthy recuperation period), I explored the easterly rim of the Grand Canyon by car. .
. Overnight at Grandview Point; these are the morning photos. .. So now I was ready to head into Indian country: complete with car, theological library, kitchen, bedroom, office, and bicycle. .. Here is my side trip to Monument Valley, an awesome accolade to the Almighty. This national park is managed by the Navajo Nation. .. "And the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle" (Exodus 40). .. .... The road back up out of Monument Valley features a view of the Res-taurant at the End of the Universe perched at the top of the cliff.

Zaphod Beeblebrox, the Maitre' De, was, unfortunately, off duty when I ate there. But they do have excellent mutton and Indian frybread. .. This Navajo-run campground above Monument Valley brought me many blessings, including a view of this sunset scene, my first shower in several days, and two nails in my tires.

Next: From the desert to the snowfields.

No comments: